Saturday, February 04, 2012

Picasa vs Photoshop

Those who know me and my photography know that I do not like over edited photos. When I edit photos I use Picasa 3, there are a few reasons for it.
1) It's very simple, easy and quick to use. I don't have much time to edit photos and make them look amazing but I do want them to look presentable.
2) All the tools that I want/need are available in an eye pleasing layout.
3) If, after a while, you don't like how you've edited the photo you can undo all the editing and get back to the original photo; this is without having to save the edited photo as a separate file.

Here's the difference in my photos:
Original
Models (left to right): Bethany Macfadyen, Cassie Buckley, Abby Neal and Hannah James
Edited: Fill light, highlight and shadow
The photo above was taken February 2, 2012 at the St Edmund's College Schola Dinner.

Programmes like Photoshop kill what photography is to me. I have a strong dislike for photos that have been over edited as my view on photography is that it is how you take your photo; the composition, the lighting and the subject. With Photoshop anything and everything can be in the photo without it actually being present when the photo was originally taken. Photoshop can be good for creating logos, posters and album covers are I've discovered in my Media classes but when it comes to the art of photography, I think it is more of a hindrance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment